Monday, January 09, 2006

War of the Worlds

"What a shot!" I said to myself, that would do anyone proud of himself.

Date: January 7, 2005 (Saturday)
Time: 0245 hours
Venue: B-313, Hall-4, IIT Kanpur (i.e. my room in IIT-K hostel)
Event: War of the Worlds!

Here are the details:
I returned to my room at about 2:40 AM from the department, and was looking for ward to read something to sleep. After getting into my pyjamas, I got into the bed but suddenly I realized I had company, actually too many uninivted guests, and they were not Homo Sapiens. My room was full of little creatures that thrive on our blood, the mosquitoes (that link is for *******, hehe).

My first reaction was to light my Mortein Mosquito Coil (MMC), but for some reason I was feeling pissed-off and decided to take on the battle, with MMC acting as my assistant. So I sat up in my bed, with a slipper in my right hand and kept my left hand free to get a good swing of the right arm. The war had been declared, and I along with me assistant, went on a rampage.

My killing mechanism was unconventional. Instead of squishing them between the surface of my slipper and another plain surface, I was hitting them HARD with my slipper. Due to a blow that hard, they would fall down on the floor (or the table in some cases) and would die after sometime. By adopting this method, I made sure that there was no blood around and my room remained clean of all the bloody stains ;-)

After sometime I realized that the enemy's strength had come down to very low numbers, but I had started to enjoy the war so I got up and stood on my bed. This increased the volume I could cover, and therefore resulted in some more killings. After a while, I noticed that all the enemies left alive by now had clinged to the ceiling of the room or to other parts of the room where I could not reach. So I thought and thought and came up with an idea. Now remember, it is December and it is very cold in Kanpur right now. This, however, did not stop me from switching on the fan (what an idea!) for about a minute. The move worked very well, and I got some 8-10 more frags. Looked around the room and found only very few enemies left, wandering around looking for a place to hide from me. I let them go, for them to narrate the tale to others from their species so that I do not have any invasions in future :-)) All this took just over 30 minutes and by 3:20 AM, I was back in my bed reading a book and almost ready to go for sleep after a long battle!

By the way, for all those who think that I was being cruel, I should mention that I gave the enemies a chance to escape before declaring the war by switching off the tubelight and opening the door of my room for them to escape into the corridor. After around 2 minutes, I closed the door and rest is history.
blog comments powered by Disqus