Thursday, January 19, 2006

Left Shift

Being a Computer Architecture freak, I am in the habit of specifying the direction of shift. More about shift in Computer Architecture can be read here, but that is not even remotely related to what I am going to blog about.

The hostel in which I stay at IIT-K, called Hall of Residence - 4, is undergoing partial renovation these days. As a part of the renovation, each room is being patched (if absolutely necessary) & white-washed, wardrobe is being upgraded and anti-mosquito meshes are being put on window panes. "Wow", I said, when I first heard about it. However, the next moment I realized I would have to empty my room for all this to happen and with only a few months left before I graduate (Yes!! I am very sure now) and leave this place, "Do I really need it? Wouldn't this be too much of a trouble?" So I decided to reduce the percentage of overhead.

Now, overhead equals the amount of extra work done as a ratio of the amount of gains. I figured out, since I cannot reduce the numerator term much, I shall have to increase the denominator to bring down the overhead. This, basically, meant that I shall spend as many days in the renovated room. On January 17th 2006, I did that. Grabbing an opportunity that had come Mangal's way, I shifted to B-309 and handed over my original room (B-313) for renovation.

So for all my fans out there, please send your fan-mail to the following address until I notify you again:
B-309, Hall of Residence - 4,
IIT Kanpur,
Kanpur - 208016.


Just a little more. I called this post 'Left Shift' because B-309 lies on the left of B-313. What is more interesting is that B-313 also lies on the left of B-309.
Can you tell me how is that possible?
blog comments powered by Disqus