Thursday, December 10, 2009

#FAIL: Never book railway tickets via Cleartrip!

I made a railway reservation from Indore to New Delhi via Cleartrip. The ticket was waitlisted till the preparation of chart, so I did not get to travel. That's fine, I should have made the reservation in time.

So I call up Cleartrip and ask them about the refund after the train has left Indore station. At first, I am told:
We can't tell you about the refund amount since it'll be processed by IRCTC and we don't know about it!
Excuse me, I made a deal with you! If you're in the business, you better know it down to the last detail. If you can't do that, please move out of the trade.

So the lady puts me on hold for a little while and then comes back to give me an "approximate" number. I am told, in a cool, cam, composed manner, that the following fees would be charged:
  1. IRCTC Charges
  2. Cleartrip Charges
  3. Transaction Charges
  4. Reservation Charges
Now this drives me crazy! I am being charged for the reservation I never got!? I'm exasperated, she realizes and says:
The reservation charges are levied by IRCTC, we did not charge you for this.

That's an "Aha!!" moment for me. She means I should argue with IRCTC about it, when I actually made the transaction via Cleartrip? Aha!!

So then next time onwards, why should I make the reservation through Cleartrip, and not go to IRCTC instead? That's what even Cleartrip is doing. The service they provide is certainly not worth my money, no way! Booking through IRCTC is almost the same (pain). If done via IRCTC, I'll know the exact refund amount as well.

I'll tell you what I'll do from now on: Research about the train and availability on Cleartrip and then book through IRCTC. Up yours, Cleartrip!

In case anyone from Cleartrip cares to read this post, here are the trip details, if they want to verify:
Cleartrip ID: 912021268
PNR: 8337869853

PS: Regardless of that, Cleartrip's calendar feature is very well thought-out and done. Give it a try (and leave the site after that). Did I mention that their support forum also does not work?
blog comments powered by Disqus