Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Fire in the hole!


Confused what that means?
It indicates that a grenade is about to explode... More confused?
Okay how about, "I am dangerous"? Or "I'm on your side"?
Does all this drive you mad? It has surely driven us mad! ;-)
Well, these are some of the expressions used in the immortal game named Counter Strike.
I started playing it about a fortnight back, and already I have become addicted. Actually, not just me. I am accompanied by few more in following our madness(?)... "Madness of Counter Strike". These guys are (in alphabetical order): Arsenal, AtalJi, Billu Badshah, Bud, Chinmay, Cij, DDK, Hardrive, Hitler, Hood, Mangal, Neo, Ozzy, Sauron (that's me), Simha. Now that's a pretty long list isn't it?
Atleast an hour everyday, we play this game. Sometimes some of us are not present. In such cases, the BOTS come as replacements. So once the game starts, all we think of for atleast an hour is how to kill the enemy (or maybe, complete the assigned mission). Oh, it's a great atmosphere. We are all shouting, helping each other, dropping hints, developing strategies.. what not!
Once that one hour of game ends (which almost invariably is more than an hour), it is followed by a coffee session at a cafe joint near the arena (:-p department, I mean. Yes, we play the game in the department!!!). That coffee session is the time to discuss our moves, come up with new plans and also to laugh out the frustration caused due to some players' gameplay (which I won't discuss here). The night ends with more discussion about the game and how it would be like to play CS in a map much like our department, or maybe our hostel. One thing is sure, if hostel is chosen as the map and the terrorists have to plant the bomb, both the teams will choose the same location for both the bomb-sites: MESS and none of the players will try to defuse the bomb :-p
For a preview of the game, take a look at these:

Condition Zero (Main Screen)


Fire In The Hole!Click to hear


Sniper View (4-5)


Counter terrorist killed by a Head-shot!Click to hear


That's how you plant a bomb


Defusing the bomb (with a special 'Defuse Kit')Click to hear



I have print-screened them from my machine. There's just one thing that I want now.. A CS-CZ version that runs on Linux (What? There's already one? I knew it would be there).

Counter Strike and Condition Zero rock!
Yes they do!
blog comments powered by Disqus